23.6.09

Protein

I have come to a new place in my eating/consuming mini-revolution.

I met up with a friend for drinks yesterday and told him of my recent attempts at eating sustainably and returning to vegetarianism. In speaking aloud, I found myself going in two directions at once... because that's precisely what I've been trying to do!

I live in Colorado. That's a big problem for a vegetarian who is going to eat only locally produced foods. We have a relatively short growing season... and a dry one at that. We also have no ocean, in case you are geographically challenged. So... protein? Where is a vegetarian going to get enough locally produced protein to be healthy?

I'll tell you... they won't.


So far, I have been eating fish from the freezer and from cans because I happened to have already purchased them and don't believe in waste. (Perhaps it is also important to share that I don't eat fresh water fish. I can't get it past my gag reflex. I've tried for 30+ years and no amount of "masking" fishy fish seems to work.) But what happens when the pre-purchased fish runs out?

Eating only locally raised protein means I'm going to have to make some further adjustments. One can only eat so many eggs!

No more vegetarianism. It was short lived, I know, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense. It seems just as healthy all around to eat a little Colorado ostrich, chicken, and bison to supplement my diet... as long as they are free grazers. They are all lean, right? It's not McDonald's, that's for sure.

The saddest thing to me about this change of plans is that... well, I love seafood! It somehow failed to dawn on me that I won't be eating it unless I happen to be in California or Rhode Island visiting friends... (or unless some wonderful host decides to serve it while I'm at their table). I don't miss much in terms of food... but I will miss that. Sushi?! Ugh. Out of the question.

Thank goodness Melanie is taking me out for Sushi and Karaoke for my birthday Friday night in Laguna Beach! Moderation? It will be tossed out the window that night, I'm afraid.

If you haven't yet read Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I strongly recommend you check it out at your local library. You can listen to it on CD in your car as well, if you don't have extra time to read. Sure, there are a lot of texts available on the topic of sustainable eating, but Kingsolver has a way of making it enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment